Friday 8 January 2010

Poof!, or How Fast Time Flies When One Works Nights

I got up this morning after about 96 hours of gumph. It's been an eventful few days and I haven't had much sleep consequently.

A Brief Rundown:

Sunday night's high and low points: I ended up virtually specialing an old lady with a UTI. She threw herself on the floor, pulled my hair and screamed the place down.

Monday night's major happening: After the only good sleep of the week, my old lady from the night before was now feverish and unrousable. We also had a 68 year old intracranial brain haemorrhage with bad prognosis who still had a Guedel airway in. WTF?!

Tuesday night's best bits: A 63 year old man who'd rather crap himself in the bed than use his perfectly good legs to sit out on a commode. The dregs of his diarrhea were left on the commode for me to clean on Wednesday night.

Wednesday night was much better: No beds, no movement. We had a relatively quiet night and my colleague almost spoiled the plot of Harry Potter 7 for the second time!

On Tuesday-Wednesday night, we had major snowfall and it was touch and go as to whether we'd all get home. One of the girls eventually slept at a friend's after her mother had phoned to say it was treacherous where she lived. I drove home in single file traffic all the way up and I was lucky to get into my village. On the hill into the village, I skidded and slip all the way up. It was pretty scary.

My city based colleagues have no idea what driving in snow-bound rural areas is like and were less than sympathetic when I phoned in to say that I wouldn't be coming in. At 5pm, they told me that the police were picking nurses up in 4x4s. Having psyched myself up for not working and having only had three hours sleep, I was mortified when I told that I had to work. I was even more shocked when a taxi car showed up, and not the 4x4 I was promised. I also didn't fancy going as I've picked up contact dermatitis from a combination of excess handwashing, cheap soap and nitrile gloves. Latex gloves stretch, nitrile don't and they hurt like frick when you have to drag them over your knuckles to get them on and off.

Yesterday I slept a lot: from 8:30am until 13:15, then 15:15 until 18:30. In between I watched David Attenborough's Life (on insects) and after I woke up in the evening, we suited and booted up for the walk over to my mother's house for home made chips, ham, beans and pickles. I knitted after dinner while keeping an eye on Roman Holiday (isn't Audrey Hepburn gorgeous?). We came back after 11pm and went to bed at 3am (after some bedroom antics that I was surprised I was up for).

Suffice to say, after all that I am so relieved to be on annual leave now. My trip to Cardiff will have to be postponed until later but I can still achieve plenty.

Today's Line-up:

  • Take down the Christmas decorations
  • Clean the house top to bottom
  • Wash my duvet
  • Write and post our thank you cards
  • Track my progress on Joe's Goals
  • Track e-mails
  • Project 365 photo

    Extras:

  • More knitting
  • Listen to a chapter of Harry Potter
  • Draft personal statement
  • Watch one episode of Gavin and Stacey
  • Put together the new lamp
  • Cancel Which subscription
  • Book two electricians
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment