Wednesday 8 October 2008

Work Update

LiveJournal tells me it is four weeks since I last posted an entry. Whoops. Not that I have been up to anything desperately exciting. It's the usual work, study, berate myself for not working hard enough hamster wheel that life is at present.

I've been working the twelve and a half hour shifts for a little while now. They are hard, it's not use to protest otherwise. But I am getting used to it. Initially I found that three days on the trot was very hard to get through. Day 2 was the worst, because with day 3 I knew I was having a few days off afterwards and with day 1 I had energy reserves. I decided that I didn't want to work three days in a row. However, now that I'm doing two days plus one stray shift a week, I'm finding that my days off are far less fun because work comes around quicker. I may ask to go back to three in a row.

I always come away from work feeling like I haven't accomplished anything, that all I've done are itty-bitty tasks leaving me with no satisfaction at all. In a sense, I am there to save the qualified nurses from doing the itty-bitty tasks because they are busy. I just hate leaving work feeling physically exhausted and yet not able to explain why. I sleep like the dead, feeling an all over ache the day after finished a stint at work.

*sigh* I just have to remember that this is a small blip in the system and one day, I am going to be an intensivist.

No comments:

Post a Comment