Wednesday 22 October 2008

And so I have returned from giving a blood sample that will hopefully enable me to go back to giving platelets. My arm hurts though. Plus I have the stem of my newly inserted Mooncup digging into me in all the wrong places. Having said that, apart from being difficult to insert when dry (duh!) it was OK.

The Mothership has just phoned. She sounded like she's very busy and not in the best of moods but she decided to talk to me about last night. You see, the Boyfriend and I are thinking about buying/renting my grandfather's old house. He died last year, it has been inherited by my mother and my uncle and they have done it up quite nicely. Unfortunately because of the so-called credit crunch no one has bought the house and at some point before Xmas, the council tax, water rates etc. are going to kick in. The Boyfriend and I applied for a mortgage this time last year, but our application went in two days after Northern Rock went under and we didn't get anywhere near enough money. We let the idea go, but now it has resurfaced. The Mothership has talked to the stubborn uncle recently about us renting it. He is not keen on the idea, maintaining that he wants the house to be up for sale all the while we are in there. The Boyfriend, however, is very keen and the Mothership is in her element, picking out housewares and kettles and making, I kid you not, a list of stuff we'd need and where to get it from. I have to confess here and now that any mention of housewares sends me to sleep and as childish as it is, I resent spending my hard-earned money on cushion covers and bedding. The Boyfriend bought a pair of duvet sets from QVC on Monday night but I was so uninterested I have absolutely no idea what colour I actually said.

Anyway, last night the Boyfriend said that he'd talked to his mother about us maybe having the house and he also mentioned that she was going to pick up tea towels from Asda for us. The Mothership was not impressed about the kitchen containing "cheap crap" and I think she insulted Stuart by saying so. I'd have been insulted too, it's like saying "your mother's taste is not good enough". I put forward that "beggars can't be choosers" and skirted away from the topic. I'd been in work all day, barrier nursing a C. diff woman and going on various wild goose chases for lost patients and cot sides etc. I was not in the mood. I have to be in a particularly receptive mood to talk house gear.

Now, just as I sat here monitoring my Travian village, the Mothership phoned and proceeded to tell me why last night may have gone down like a lead balloon but...1) the only towels in Asda are nasty ones that I'd have to iron all the time (as if I really would iron tea towels) and that 2) we shouldn't settle for crap just because we don't have a lot and 3) that we should have a few nice things such as, get this, a £35 kettle from M&S and 4) that if Asda had any nice towels she'd have picked them up a long time ago and 5) why is Stuart's mother getting involved when a few months ago she said "no" to giving us a deposit for the house and 6) why can't she just give us money? which actually means why can't she give us money for the Mothership to spend on our behalf. Whose freakin' house is it going to be?

Right at this moment I am piggy in the middle and I'm really thinking about saying that I don't want to do it. I have my own reservations about it. How do I manage college and full-time work and a house and cooking and cleaning etc.? Are we going to be able to afford it? Can I afford to pay my own stuff and have enough for bills as well as all the furniture we are going to need? I can sure as hell kiss goodbye to a holiday next year. I'm so frustrated and angry at the moment. I am going to put my foot down tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment